Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Virginia of Creative Family Tree talks silhouettes, modern families and her barn-based studio

"If you call them family, I can put them on a tree," says Virginia Rufener-Angus of Creative Family Tree, who designs and prints custom family trees of any familial relationship and creates beautifully contoured silhouettes. And by "custom," Virginia means she caters to multiple spouses, ancestors and descendants in one tree. 



This Franktown artist, who's sheared almost everyone in her small town, has been catching many new eyes since being featured on The ETSY Blog just last week.



We recently caught up with Virginia, our upcoming Pop-Up Store artist to be featured at the Perfect Petal Playdate on April 25. 

The Petal: Tell us about yourself.
Virginia: I’m a native Coloradan, who left for a time to live in Texas and Germany, but came back to the Denver area as soon as I could. I run a small photography studio and family tree business out of my “studio” (also known as the apartment over my barn) in Franktown. All of my work can be seen on my Facebook page.
The Petal: What inspired you to start doing family trees? 
Virginia: My parents have two passions: their grandchildren and genealogy. They are both retired, and they travel around the U.S. in their RV doing genealogy research. They call it "digging up dead relatives." 
I'm a photographer, and I had taken pictures of all eight of their grandchildren. I wanted to give them a gift that brought the grandchildren and the genealogy together and I created my first "photo family tree."
The Petal: How did you get into silhouettes?
Virginia: I was looking for a way to expand my family tree line. I tend to design in blues, reds, oranges, tans and browns. I wanted to design a black and white tree for customers that didn't appreciate my favorite color palette.  
I started work on a black and white tree and took my inspiration from traditional Chinese Paper Cuts and German Scherenschnitte. I came up with a tree based on actual photos that resemble an intricate paper cut. It is a bit labor-intensive, but the result is an intensely personal heirloom.

FAQs about April 25

What does Virginia need from me to make a silhouette? 
  • If you'd like a silhouette ready for pick up on April 25, take a side profile picture against a white wall and email it to virginia@raffiaroses.com by April 20. 
  • Otherwise, Virginia will be taking side profile pictures at the Playdate and creating silhouettes after the event, which she can either ship to customers or bring to The Petal at a later date.
How can I purchase designs in advance of the Playdate?
  • If you'd like to purchase silhouettes or silhouette trees in advance of the event on April 25, Virginia can have your order ready for pick up at the Playdate, but orders MUST be placed by April 20.
Will I be charged for shipping?
  • Order through Etsy with the code "PERFECTPETALSPECIAL" and you'll get free shipping!

No comments:

Post a Comment